Psoriasis in Columbus, OH
Psoriasis is a chronic skin condition that makes the skin thick and causes several uncomfortable symptoms, such as pain, redness, and dryness. Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Shari Hicks-Graham specializes in psoriasis treatments that help alleviate the symptoms, giving people in the Columbus and Upper Arlington area a higher quality of life.
What is Psoriasis?
The exact cause of psoriasis is not known, but it is believed to be linked to the immune system. The life cycle of the skin is changed in a way that causes them to build up on the skin surface. This is why people with psoriasis have raised areas of skin. The areas appear scaly and red. Additionally, the areas are very dry and itchy. Psoriasis is known to “flare up” and then subside, but this pattern does not occur in all patients.
Psoriasis Treatment Benefits
Because psoriasis is a chronic skin condition, the goal of treatment is to alleviate symptoms by slowing the growth of the skin cells. Our patients who work with Dr. Hicks-Graham to address their psoriasis see a significant improvement in:
- Skin appearance
- Cracked skin
- Joint problems associated with psoriasis
- Skin thickening
- Burning sensation
- Scaly appearance
What Areas Can Be Treated for Psoriasis?
As a board-certified dermatologist, Dr. Hicks-Graham will categorize your psoriasis as one of the following:
- Scalp psoriasis that may involve the scalp and area just beyond the hairline
- Plaque psoriasis, the most common type of psoriasis that can occur on any part of the body, including inside the mouth and the genital area
- Nail psoriasis that affects the fingers and toes
- Pustular psoriasis, the least common type of psoriasis that results in small blisters on the fingertips, hands and feet
- Guttate psoriasis that primarily affects teenagers and children
- Psoriatic arthritis that affects the skin, nails, and joints
- Inverse psoriasis that occurs around the breasts, underarm area, genitals and groin area
- Erythrodermic psoriasis, also uncommon, that causes a peeling, red rash on the entire body
What Can I Expect From Psoriasis Treatment?
Dr. Hicks-Graham understands that your psoriasis affects your quality of life. Because this is a chronic condition that cannot be cured, the overall goal of treatment is to control the condition and the symptoms. When you receive psoriasis treatment at Downtown Dermatology, you can expect:
- High-quality care
- Expert recommendations from a board-certified dermatologist
- Treatments that slow the development of skin cells and improve the appearance of the affected skin
Psoriasis Treatment Preparation
The most important part of your psoriasis treatment is to have realistic expectations. We recommend that you come prepared to discuss your challenges with managing your psoriasis, both on your own and with other medical providers. Dr. Hicks-Graham will provide you with the understanding and expert insight you need to make informed decisions about your treatment.
Psoriasis Treatment Recovery
Dr. Hicks-Graham may recommend medications, such as:
- Topical applications that contain coritcosteroids, vitamin D, anthralin, retinoids, salicylic acid or calcineurin inhibitors
- Skin moisturizers
- Light therapy
- Oral medications that contain retinoids, cyclosporine, methotrexate and other active ingredients that work with the immune system
Finding a successful medication or combination of treatments may take some time, especially if you have a history of psoriasis “flare ups.” Dr. Hicks-Graham will begin with the mildest treatment protocol, and you will work together to find a solution for your psoriasis.
How Much Does Psoriasis Treatment Cost?
Medical insurance does cover the cost of psoriasis in most cases, so you will be responsible for the co-payment, deductible and co-insurance as determined by your insurance carrier. We accept payment by cash, check, major credit card and CareCredit® financing.
Is Psoriasis Treatment Right for Me?
Living with psoriasis can be uncomfortable both emotionally and physically. You deserve to have a high-quality life, so we recommend that you meet with board-certified dermatologist Dr. Hicks-Graham to discuss your psoriasis.
You do have options for managing your psoriasis. If you are ready to control the condition rather than have it control your quality of life, contact us to schedule a personal consultation with Dr. Hicks-Graham.
The raised, thick skin, itching, redness and dryness associated with psoriasis can make you feel miserable. Board-certified dermatologist Dr. Shari Hicks-Graham will provide you with safe and effective treatments to control your psoriasis and alleviate the uncomfortable symptoms.